There are many reasons to add locally produced food to your diet. Here are our top 5:
- Supports local farmers: By buying local you are supporting local farmers and their businesses. This helps to keep local farms in business and supports the local economy.
- Provides fresher produce: If you select locally produced food this means that the produce was most likely picked recently and has not had to travel long distances to get to you. Therefore, it is fresher, healthier, and tastier than produce that has been shipped from abroad. Buy local and you get the freshest food straight from the farm to your fork.
- Protects the environment: Buying local helps to protect the environment by keeping down your carbon footprint; you are reducing the amount of energy and resources used to ship the produce and this helps to reduce damaging greenhouse gas emissions.
- Tastes better: It’s important to eat seasonally when produce is at its best. This is great way to get fresh, healthy produce and eat seasonally appropriate dishes are also so much tastier!
- Builds a sense of community: Buying from local suppliers helps to build a sense of community and support local businesses. It can also be a great way to get to know your local farmers. Check out our range of fresh, local products sold @Ballykenver Farmshop & Kitchen, Armoy – open Thur – Sat 11am – 5pm – Click here for details. And The Lamb Van sells a range of small, medium and large fresh and frozen lamb meat boxes through local retail outlets and via The Lamb Van website click link to shop online