Our dogs are all so invaluable to our farms ! Both as pets and farm helps. They really are one of the family ❤️ That’s why we ensure they are always well fed and cared for including a few wee TREATS which they love. Here’s a quick and easy recipe for tasty treats which you can make at home – using just a few natural and wholesome ingredients.
You only need a few ingredients which you can pick up from Ballykenver Farmshop & Kitchen in Armoy – open Thur – Sat 11am – 5pm. Click here for details. New shop opening in 2023 – date to be confirmed.
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
NB – If your dog is allergic to flour/wheat you want to make these wheat free using rice flour of coconut flour as a replacement.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Prick sweet potato several times with a fork and cook in the microwave on high until cooked – approx 6 minutes. Allow them to cook before handling.
- Cut sweet potato in 2, scoop flesh into a bowl and throw skin away.
- Mash potato with a fork and put approx 1 cup mashed potato to a large bowl.
- Mix whole wheat flour, eggs, and apple sauce into sweet potato in the bowl to form a dough.
- Tip dough out onto a floured surface – roll dough to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter or cut dough into strips with a pizza cutter and put onto an un-greased baking sheet.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes until crisp.
- Leave for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Hope your dogs enjoy these as much as ours!
These treats also make a great gift for any friends and family dog lovers.